T-cell mediated immunity to SARS-CoV-2 is as important as an antibody response.
COVID-T™ The world’s first low cost, disposable, diagnostic to identify a T-cell immune response to the presence of SARS-CoV-2.
Current tests for immunity to Covid-19 only measure antibodies. The other arm of the immune response – T cell immunity – is often ignored. Measuring T cell immunity requires the drawing of two ounces of blood from the test subject and a time-consuming and expensive analysis of the blood sample at laboratories possessing specialized equipment.
- For some viruses, including the original SARS from 20 years ago, antibody levels decline over time, while T cell responses are long-lasting.
- T cells may recognize a different pattern of antigens than antibodies recognize.
- Many in vitro diagnostic companies do not report the nature of the antigen(s) utilized in their assays and it is therefore difficult to understand whether antibodies detected with different kits and methodologies have a neutralizing effect on the virus, possibly through binding with the viral spike protein S-subunits receptor-binding domain (Nuccetelli, M., Pieri, M., Grelli, S. et al. SARS-CoV-2 infection serology: a useful tool to overcome lockdown?. Cell Death Discov. 6, 38 (2020)).
Solving these problems with Covid-T™
- Covid-T™ is the world’s first low cost, disposable, diagnostic to identify a T-cell immune response to SARS-CoV-2.
BD Soluvia Microinjectionsystem
Covid-T comes as a single-use, disposable, syringe containing the proper amount of recombinant, non-infectious, S1 subunit of the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein in liquid suspension.
- Covid-T™ is based on Delayed-Type Hypersensitivity (“DTH“) technology. DTH is known to be a measure of T cell immunity and has been used for many years for immune response screening for other infectious diseases such as tuberculosis, fungal diseases, and mumps. The test is performed by injecting a small amount of test material, e.g. the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein, intradermally and inspecting the site for erythema and induration 24-48 hours later. The test results can be measured visually by a health care provider or optically using a cell phone app that the Company plans to develop.
- By adding the spike proteins from SARS-CoV-2 variants, Covid-T™ has the potential for detecting T cell responses to new mutated variants strains of SARS-CoV-2 that are spreading worldwide.